X

Notice

SlideshowFx Plugin: HTTP error 400 - Bad Request (Check logs for details)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Login/Register with

TOPIC: Forest Ride - Saturday 22nd March 2014

Forest Ride - Saturday 22nd March 2014 3 years 7 months ago #261

• Mr Incredulous
  • Thank you received: 26
Who's in need of some Sport Relief?

According to the Wednesday night owls, mud tyres are "so yesterday".

Tommy has promised to show us his new toy :ohmy:

Mikey has promised to show us some new trails B)

Kaff has promised to wear her new gold micro shorts :evil:

Should be a fun day. If anyone has any special requests for places to head for please shout.
Never cease to be amazed!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Forest Ride - Saturday 22nd March 2014 3 years 7 months ago #262

• marc
  • Thank you received: 5
I'll be there - at least until lunch. With mud tyres, because its still Epping.

Forest Ride - Saturday 22nd March 2014 3 years 7 months ago #263

• BigBen
has Kaff gone Kylie? If so, I'll be there..
Introduce the device Mrs. Dimpkins!!!!

Forest Ride - Saturday 22nd March 2014 3 years 7 months ago #264

• Kaff
You should be so lucky, lucky lucky lucky!

Forest Ride - Saturday 22nd March 2014 3 years 6 months ago #266

• Mikey
  • Thank you received: 1
Promise is such a strong word, although if we head towards Cannaught Waters I'm sure I could fine the enterance to the new bit and navigating it should interesting as it's been a few weeks since I have been there.

Forest Ride - Saturday 22nd March 2014 3 years 6 months ago #269

• Mr Incredulous
  • Thank you received: 26
A fairly big group made it out on Saturday. Kaff, Julie, TT, Si, Mikey, Big Ben, Little Ben, Neil, Ollie, Ron, Richie, Glenn, Marc, Alex, new rider Francis and Me.

The big storm on Friday night had put paid to any hope of finding any dry and dusty so it was pretty much conditions as was, especially in the lower forest. Mikey took us to ride some fledgling trails around Connaught before we headed up towards High Beech. We stopped to play at some of the log rides on route where we could hone our skills under the watchful eye of our new jumps and drops guru, "Richie Skywalker". Kaff took inspiration from this to ride the new log ride at The Hump with ease.

At HB there was a momentary discipline breakdown when Julie lead a tea and bread pudding mutiny - so wrong! We made our way past Carl's and the cross country runners to ride The Big Downhill for the first time in ages. Great fun as ever and there was the usual amount of carnage at the bomb hole. Mikey confused everyone by stopping in the bottom of the bowl and most of those that followed assumed the worst and gave it a wide berth. It turned out that it was completely fine and he'd just stopped to watch everyone else!

Before we took on the climb back we had a few minutes wait while a thorn was extracted from Julie's tyre and to kill some time the rest of us ripped into Richie again - poor bloke, it's not his fault The Jedi didn't tell him how to ride over a small twig without 140mm's of comfort blanket!

The climb up Pillow Mounds was boggy and tough and after a quick chat with Paul The Lock astride his 15lb Scott Foil (surely illegal) we made our way quickly down to ENR at The Drop-Off. Not sure why but nobody seemed to trust that it was going to ride as it usually does and so a few guinea pigs were sent down to test the going which, as long as you stayed to the right and avoided the big hole, was as good as ever. The Camber followed and as usual it threw up it's share of panic. I went first, stayed high and got the best of the grip. Good plan as it turned out!

We then rode a figure of eight through The Bombholes and onto Omi's Race Track before looping back up to Lost Pond and back through The Bombholes again. The plan was to ride round the Camp Edge and then head down to the Baldwins Pond trail but we ran into the back of a big group of ramblers, so to keep the peace we reversed ourselves and rode the nice downhill west of the Camp. It turned out to a good call as Mikey and Little Ben got the opportunity to ride a nice drop-off half way down which Marc captured on video. Richie had a "technical issue" so couldn't join them.

After crossing the stream we climbed up to the back of The Robin Hood and a small race developed for the front of the queue at Bradley's. Big Ben, Alex and I enjoyed the sit in the sunshine eating while everyone else stood in line, although we did have to wait a while until the young lady had properly arranged her cups (must be a Samwise joke in there somewhere).

lunch over, Si left to tend to The Wheels on the Bus and ignoring Ron's constant call for a quick dash to the pub we agonised over our route back before Glenn came up with a slightly different version of the usual and we were sold. The rooty downhill behind The Robin Hood is such a good trail and with the roots being super slippery there was a lot of moments being had. From Loughton Brook, Marc headed home and the rest of us climbed up to Strawberry Ponds and a trip over The Bridge of Si's where we were thankfully all alone.

Back at ENR we crossed and, to the dismay of many, headed up Fairmead Road for the climb up to Lippets. On the bridleway we were joined by Katie on her Cx bike. We rode up Andy's Log and along to the top of the downhill to start the dash to the bottom. The section through the trees was really slippery and Kaff came to grief in the middle. We emerged onto the boggy grass near Suntrap and couldn't face the thought of the slog through the gloop to the start of the next singletrack. Fortunately, TT had a better plan and we joined him on the bridleway before riding to the edge of West Essex GC and along the trails to Sewardstonebury. I'm not sure where but at some point we lost a few, and then a few more before we got to Bury Road and there was only Big Ben, Alex, Neil and I left.

Neil headed for the safety of his van and the remaining threesome rode the golf course trail up to Pole Hill. It had seemed like a good idea but I had nothing left in the tank and Ben and Alex left me for dead. We got together again to ride the last little section of singletrack before heading to the bike wash. A good tip for all, especially when you are gagging for a pint, is to not be behind Alex at this point as he is, and genuinely apologises for it, fairly particular in his cleaning duties!

We entered the pub to the extremely sad news that Arsenal had been gubbed 6-0 at Stamford Bridge and that Arsene Wenger had finally found a ref with as bad eyesight as he has had for the last 20 years. Paul The Lock rejoined us in his country squire shooting party ensemble, a few pints were downed and the beige disappeared just before Si made it back from his 24th kiddies party this year (he's an expert on ball ponds). Big Ben looked on for a proper session and Richie left to a chorus of "what a waste of money" just before Ollie and I braved the ride along The Ridgeway without a proper selection of lights again - must go home earlier!!!

I feel another away day coming on. Any takers or suggestions?
Never cease to be amazed!
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds