X

Notice

SlideshowFx Plugin: HTTP error 400 - Bad Request (Check logs for details)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Login/Register with

TOPIC: Saturday 28th June 2014 - Rads Ride

Saturday 28th June 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 3 months ago #869

• Mr Incredulous
  • Thank you received: 26
Having been to Swinley last week I was really looking forward to a nice fast ride on the bone dry Epping trails. Considering the time of year it was not a big turnout but joined by Julie, Kaff, Neil,Richie, Glenn, Ron, Omar, Sam, PK, Baz, Duncan and Little Ben we had more than enough people to properly enjoy ourselves.

After last weeks guest guide had put me on notice, on the ride up I went to the extraordinary lengths of actually thinking up a bit of a plan (best kind of defence is attack and all that). It kind of involved riding a few of the normal trails in reverse and generally mixing up what we usually do to keep people on there toes a bit. This seemed to work out really well as within 250 yards of the car park half the group were lost having followed the back end of the Mods through The Graveyard!

All back together, we zig-zagged through the lower trails finding some lovely fast and flowy singletrack before crossing ENR and heading up to Strawberry Ponds and a reverse traverse of The Bridge of Si's. Next was the lovely rooty downhill to the clearing at the bottom of Loughton Brook and then onto the twisty trail up to Baldwins Pond.

Half way along Omar punctured and Julie and Kaff set about using the fixing time on another log riding skill session. This proved to be very informative as we learned that Julie is quite good at log riding but has to do it on my bike and we learned that Kaff is better on Juile's bike than Julie is but only going east to west or vice versa. I couldn't imagine that implementing any of that under real trail conditions would be very practical and so it proved.

At Diet Coke Corner we discussed options and carried on up Omi's Race Track before switching right towards the bridle way at the bottom of The Rooty Staircase. On the way we found a nice new log ride and set about putting the skills recently honed to full work. It was quite a tricky double branched arrangement that was ridden pretty well by everyone up until we got to, well as I was sat on my bike you can guess who!

Climbing, I love climbing. In fact I'd almost go as far as to say that at the moment I love it even more than I love scumming. When the trails are hard packed there is nothing more gratifying than busting your way quickly up a technical and rooty climb and on my new steed I'm feeling a little like Omar must have done back in his heyday (he's shit now of course). Having emerged triumphantly at Golding's Hill Pond after making it up what is usually the most horrible of climbs I was feeling pretty chipper, In fact I was so that way inclined that having done yet another bit of oh so boring downhill I immediately set off up Indian Summer to climb some more and just for the hell of it headed straight for the lovely twisty climb back to Jacks Hill car park - take that!

Obviously still feeling dizzy I suggested we ride up to The Forest Gate for lunch. Ronnie announced his departure and, after a steady negotiation of The Ridges, for the rest of us it was full on race mode all the way to Ivy Chimneys - it's such a nice trail in the dry and it offers quite a few options in your choice of route to pick your way around the various ponds and clumps of trees. On the front Baz was in full 29er mode but at a crucial moment his bar mounted SAT-telly malfunctioned, he cycled up a holly lined cul-de-sac and it was game over!

With only two people already in the garden we easily found an empty table and rushed into the mostly empty pub so as not to be last in the lunch queue. At about queue position 4 and having parted company with £7 for a lovely pint of Nethergate IPA to accompany my turkey salad sarnie I must have been one of the last to tick the right boxes as from then on our presence seemed to be greeted as a nasty irritant to an otherwise fun packed, customer free day. Tea? You want tea in a tea pot? It really is such a shame as It's a great place to head for otherwise.

Back on the bikes and in an unwelcome rain shower we rode around the cricket ground and, after narrowly avoiding a head on with a lady driving her car around the mid-off boundary, headed down to cross ENR into The Plantation. At the gates to Copped Hall we ducked through the rhododendrons and crossed Upshire Road to ride the nice bridle/singletrack to the back of the Woodcutters.

From there it was all standard stuff via Wake Valley Ponds and the double logs up to High Beech for a quick pee stop before a dash down Andy's riding all of the log ride obstacles. At the bottom, Richie, Ben and Neil took it in turns to show us how to fall onto or off of the tree ride.

Although we'd had quite a few stops to re-group, we had got everywhere so quickly that we were in danger of making it back to base a bit early so we made our way out towards Suntrap and onto the road to The Owl for a trip down the steps. Part way down Sam got his bars wrapped in a bramble bush and disappeared into the undergrowth to emerge a few moments later bloodied and badly stung but thankfully ok. Baz turned the single file into a dual track by riding through the head high grass safe in the knowledge that his head to foot body armour would save him from any lurking nasties.

Back at West Essex we rode the sleeper bridge trail and then after crossing Bury Road did the great downhill to the back of Pole Hill before zig-zagging our way up to The Obelisk and the final dash downhill to a well attended World Cup debrief at the pub. Omi and I sided with Chile and took on the Full Brazilian - after a fairly lengthy encounter and a brush with authority, like the team, we got beaten on penalties!

A great ride with lots of laughs - hopefully more of the same to come in the next few dry weeks.
Never cease to be amazed!
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Mr Incredulous.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Saturday 28th June 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 3 months ago #871

• marc
  • Thank you received: 5
Awesome report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:Saturday 28th June 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 3 months ago #873

• Dangerous
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 11
Sounds good, hopefully it will still be like this by late July, I've got some RS Pikes that need testing out.

Re:Saturday 28th June 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 3 months ago #874

• uggski
  • Thank you received: 2
Woohoo! The return of the ride report. :P

Re:Saturday 28th June 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 3 months ago #875

• Mr Incredulous
Dangerous wrote:
Sounds good, hopefully it will still be like this by late July, I've got some RS Pikes that need testing out.

Are they still 'heavily discounted'?

Saturday 28th June 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 3 months ago #876

• Omarito
  • Thank you received: 1
Did we really do all that???
Oh god, I am shit now and didn't even get to the point of becoming a legend.... :(

Saturday 28th June 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 3 months ago #879

• Mr Incredulous
Omarito wrote:
Did we really do all that???
Oh god, I am shit now and didn't even get to the point of becoming a legend.... :(

Omi, maybe I made it all up, maybe I cut and pasted a ride report from 2010!

You are though, definitely top ex-Mexican in the group.............

Re:Re: Re:Saturday 28th June 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 3 months ago #880

• Dangerous
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 11
Mr Incredulous wrote:
Dangerous wrote:

Are they still 'heavily discounted'?
Unfortunately no :)

Re:Saturday 28th June 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 3 months ago #899

• sze187
  • Thank you received: 4
£7 for a pint? Did you ride into the city?
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds