X

Notice

SlideshowFx Plugin: HTTP error 400 - Bad Request (Check logs for details)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Login/Register with

TOPIC: Saturday 12th July 2014 - Rads Ride

Saturday 12th July 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 4 months ago #914

• Mr Incredulous
  • Thank you received: 26
I rolled into the car park at 10:59 a bit concerned about the turnout with only Richie and Ollie there to greet me. To be fair the forecast was not so good and there are a few regulars that I knew would be away or are otherwise occupied but it was nice to see Marc, TT, Omar, Ron and Sam turn up soon after.

Sam 'offered' to lead up Pole Hill so we headed up the climb and onto the run along the golf course before crossing Bury Road and heading for West Essex. The log ride on the link trail between the bridle ways had been part destroyed by the fun police so we made a nice job of the rebuild before allowing me to fail miserably in my attempt to ride it. Must remember to ride over the bit we've worked on! Richie saved the groups reputation with a nice clearance.

Even at this early stage it was really warm in the woods and it was clear that our collective mojo's were sipping a cold one on a beach somewhere. We all wanted to be out riding but it wasn't a day for all out dash so trying to make the best of it we attempted to turn the day into a bit of a discovery ride. Heading into what looked like a possible new trail we soon came to a stop due to a couple of fallen trees and after a bit of walking and bike carrying we emerged on the bridleway at the back of The Graveyard. Marc took control and we rode swiftly down to the bridge and then up to No Name Corner - 45 minutes in and although we'd been riding fairly quickly, we'd effectively got nowhere.

Glenn rang at this point to say he was heading to meet us at High Beech whilst we, after another bit of trail maintenace, headed over Duncan's Log and towards the bottom of Lippet's. News came through that ENR had been closed due to a cycle related accident. We were heading that way and at the crossing point the signs didn't look good with the Police on sentry duty and just 200 yards up the road, a car and debris across the carriageway.

www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/11337454....two_vehicles/?ref=mr

We took the trail alongside ENR up towards the Robin Hood and again tried a bit of trail finding to get down alongside the roundabout with mixed success. With the roundabout also closed to traffic everyone was diverting down Earls Path into Loughton so it wasn't the easiest thing to get across towards Bradleys. Still intending to meet Glenn we made our way up to the loos at High Beech but by this time he'd understandably given up on us and shot off with The Mods who'd been through earlier.

Needing a bit of guiding inspiration, TT suggested we head for The Bomb Hole Downhill to ride the new line with fresh legs - a top plan as it turned out. A few of us, Marc, Omar, Sam and Richie hadn't ridden it before and once we got there, like a bunch of kids, we had a play for a good while, getting some 'air' on the steep exit . Marc's front wheel slow puncture probably didn't do him any favours as on the first run down he missed the left turn and ended up in the trees - nobody laughed! Sensibly he decided to fix it while we did repeat runs and scared ourselves. After re-joining us, he headed down at the front of the pack carrying way too much speed into the jump and flew off the kicker. Ollie and Omar, who were ringside fixing Ollie's brakes, must have feared for there lives as Marc made his airborne appearance. Fortunately, he missed them both, he and bike bounced well and no permanent damage was done to the forest.

We rode across Claypit Hill and over to Mecca before taking the singletrack to Big View and making our way to Woodridden Hill and across to the rhododendrons at the top of the Deer Tunnel trail. At this point we had a decision to make as to which way we carried on and we were not being at all decisive. The Deer Tunnel trail is good fun but eventually leaves you high and dry in the middle of Copped Hall Estate and some of the inhabitants get very nervous in case we upset the ponies on a gymkhana or polo day, Ron was heading back and Ollie was suffering mechanical issues so we left them both at the gates and rode through The Plantation towards Epping. At the end of the trail we bypassed our usual exit and rode north, parallel with the road, through a open green field. For the twitchers out there, a pair of buzzards were circling above us as we crossed ENR just above Ambresbury Banks.

Time was getting on but we were close to some nice trails so set off to do a big loop and have a late lunch. We rode west towards Fork Handles but cut in from the bridleway to ride the Sleeper Bridge downhill before climbing up to 5,6 or 7 Logs. Richie won the prize for a clear round. After making our way towards Theydon we rode the nice twisty trail alongside the bridleway before cutting back towards The Ridges at Jacks Hill. We'd been riding everywhere pretty quickly so it was a bit of a shocker when I had a soppy low speed fall on a log hidden in the leaves on the way - nobody laughed much!

Tom had insisted we ride Secret Squirrel and in the correct direction but he had to wait a while as I came up with a plan to ride the lovely trail alongside The Ditches to the top of Indian Summer before returning up the other side. Omar greeted this news with less than his usual enthusiasm but we set off anyway. It's funny how you can ride a trail one way and never lose the path but riding it the other way presents all sorts of problems - it visually doesn't present itself right. We got to the bottom and to roughly where we wanted to be after riding some really nice stuff but I'd made most of it up as we went along. Sam said he was glad I knew where I was going!

Back at Secret Squirrel TT, Sam, Omar and Marc shot off to do it justice while Richie and I approached it slightly more gently - the big extra loop we'd put in had started to take it's toll. From Broadstrood we crossed Goldings Hill and rode up to Deershelter for the dash through the thigh high ferns towards The Boggy Valley. At the top we were met by a young couple on road bikes who'd obviously just ridden/walked it in the opposite direction - "got a bit lost" was all I understood as we passed by. Once we cleared the skinny trail through the ferns TT chased me all the way to the bottom, such good fun.

It was gone 3pm and lunch was definitely a big requirement now. We made our way past The W, through the Stream Logs and V to cross ENR again and head to Bradley's via The Up's and Downs. Ron, Ollie and Glenn were there and we were soon joined by Madge who'd escaped for a few hours on her scummer.

After a relaxed lunch in the hot sun we almost reluctantly got back on the bikes. Marc headed for home and we were soon heading for a blast down Andy's - probably my favourite bit of trail in the whole forest at the moment. We all rode it quickly and I think that despite our lunch stop and it being downhill, it probably finished most of us. TT called for a gentle spin along the bridleway which seemed a good plan to me but we somehow got lured back into the singletrack and after riding the trails back to and up through The Graveyard. It was a very tired and quiet group that ambled to the bike wash and debrief where we joined the remnants of The Mods.

Doom Bar was the £1.99 guest ale of the week and although we were tired we were soon rejuvenated by it's magical powers.
Never cease to be amazed!
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Mr Incredulous.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Saturday 12th July 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 4 months ago #915

• TommyTank
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6
Great write up Miles

Was a great ride again. The key challenge being, trying to drink faster than you were perspiring.

Really good session on the alt bomb hole.

Despite the heat and humidity I still think we coveted 17 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't believe scummers are allowed on this site!
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by TommyTank.

Re:Saturday 12th July 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 4 months ago #916

• Richie
  • Thank you received: 4
Great report, great ride! Just couldn't muster up any energy for secret squirrel! Love the big downhill alt route session we had.

Fitness is cheating

Saturday 12th July 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 4 months ago #917

• marc
  • Thank you received: 5
Really good ride - legs were wobbly the next day.

Covered a lot of ground - it was really good to visit some of the lesser ridden trails over Epping way.

Thanks for the write up Miles. Enjoyed sessioning the downhill too - good find that.

Re:Saturday 12th July 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 4 months ago #918

• blade
Good ride good report timing may be abit out as was tucking in a burger and bro house at 3pm for niece first birthday dam missed doom bar guest

Saturday 12th July 2014 - Rads Ride 3 years 4 months ago #919

• Mr Incredulous
  • Thank you received: 26
marc wrote:
Really good ride - legs were wobbly the next day.

Covered a lot of ground - it was really good to visit some of the lesser ridden trails over Epping way.

Thanks for the write up Miles. Enjoyed sessioning the downhill too - good find that.

Marc, you covered a bit more ground than the rest of us!
Never cease to be amazed!
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds