X

Notice

SlideshowFx Plugin: HTTP error 400 - Bad Request (Check logs for details)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Login/Register with

TOPIC: Saturday Forest Ride - 15-8-3015

Saturday Forest Ride - 15-8-3015 2 years 2 months ago #1390

• Mr Incredulous
  • Thank you received: 26
After finishing a great session with the kids in the morning I met Paul B and Me Julie up at High Beach. Paul was wrestling with a rear flat so I used the 45 minutes he was going to take to have a nice cuppa and get bitten by a very angry wasp. It was great to see a big group of Mods out too.

Julie was running a set of almost slicks on her MTB but, despite what I had feared, by the time we got to the bottom of Lippet's, it was clear that the trails had coped brilliantly with the Thursday/Friday deluge and we had bags of grip apart from on the deadly roots.

David had taken the main group of Kaff, Madge, TT, Omi, Richie, Little Ben, Greg, PK, Neil, Mark and Marcus south so we set off to make a rendezvous, eventually running into them just south of Chingford Lane. We had a play on a stream crossing and then headed back north via Return of The Jedi and Chingford Plain to No Name Corner.

The group were in relaxed mood and we made our way via Easter Friday and The Hump to the stream at the bottom of Andy's for an extended play on the new log ride. Whilst there we met Sebastian, a very fit looking Spaniard on a ridiculously light carbon Santa Cruz hardtail (deadly combo). TT made friends and Omar reassured him that as a group we don't mind the odd Johnny Foreigner. Surprisingly, the Cougars didn't get involved - too occupied with other matters!

Lunchtime was spent basking in some nice sunshine and dodging more suicidal wasps. Ron met us on his KTM (it has resorted to that) and we made post lunch plans to visit a tree ride that Greg knew of near to the Ups and Downs. Not having had a mid-ride loo stop, Madge and Kaff requested a loop via High Beach so, having learned our lesson, we obliged.

Greg's log ride was great fun. TT got the video going and Greg, Richie and Little Ben rode it with ease. To hold up the elder honour, Neil and I had a go and I was quite proud of my first time clearance (should have left it at that for sure). Neil made it look good too and the pressure was on for Dangerous Dave to live up to his name - irony can be so hurtful. In an attempt to rub salt into the wound I had a second go and ended up rubbing my face in the log - big mistake, learn to quit while you are ahead old man! Still, the pain took my mind off the wasp sting.

By now it was definitely getting on for pub o'clock so we headed quickly down Lippet's and through Bury Wood towards The Graveyard where it all got a bit fast and racey. TT avoided all of my best bits of sneakiness to claim the prize in good style.

The debrief was really good fun and the Wainwright's flowed. Julie started a Yeti 575 price war, Omar had the one he'd come in for three or four times and TT abandoned his car.

No dramas, just another ordinary day!
Never cease to be amazed!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dangerous, TommyTank
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

Ride Info

Place

The rides always start from Chingford Plaines car park (see map below) which is opposite Chingford Golf Course and 5 minutes walk from Chingford Overground Station.

Mobile UI Design

Time

Be bike ready at the meeting point at least 15 mins before ride start time. Pedals turning at 11am every Saturday morning or 7pm most Wednesday evenings

Mobile UI Design

Ability

Saturday: medium/fast pace, distance approx. 18-25+ miles, duration approx. 4-5 hours. Wednesday evenings: fast sprint, distance approx. 10-15+ miles, duration 2-3 hours.

Mobile UI Design

Tools

The forest is full of hazards that can bring an end to your ride, so bring a mini pump, spare tube and multi-tool so we can all spend more time pedalling.

Mobile UI Design

Essential

It's simple NO helmet, NO ride. Other than that you can wear whatever keeps you warm, dry and happy. But, be warned some days the forest can be extremely muddy.

Mobile UI Design

Under 35?

No problem, we have regular riders who are 25 years young and some who are 50+. As long as you can keep up you are more than welcome to join us.

Mobile UI Design

Directions

M25, Junction 26 (Loughton & Waltham Abbey). From roundabouts, follow signs for Loughton A121 & Epping B1393 for 1.3 miles. Take 4th exit at Wake Arms roundabout for Woodford A104 for 2.8 miles. Turn right onto Rangers Road A1069, follow for 1 mile past the Royal Forest Hotel and down the hill. Take the first right onto Bury Road, continue for 200m and turn into the car park (see map below).

via MBRO35er

About

MBRO35 (Mountain Bike Riders Over 35) are a social group of riders, not a club. As you may have guessed we are mostly over 35 years of age although some that ride are younger so don't let that put you off.

The group ride on a Saturday morning at 11am in Epping Forest which is to the North East of London. A lot of us have lived around and cycled in the forest for a good number of years and we are lucky to have some regular riders who know their way around the miles of singletrack very well. We ride all year round and usually get a pretty good turn out in all but the foulest weather. We are a sociable group and the emphasis is on enjoyment rather than speed or the mileage travelled. Having said that, the rides can be fairly quick at times and whilst we welcome riders of all abilities you will need a good level of fitness in order to keep up as well as a mechanically sound mountain bike. We ride mostly on the forest singletrack, the narrowness of the trails and exposed tree roots make for some challenging technical riding.

In addition to the regular Saturday rides we also do forest night rides on a Wednesday evening at 7pm as well as occasional away days or weekends. If you prefer your wheels on firmer ground, there is also a strong road contingent within the group that often rides out into the Essex and Hertfordshire countryside on a Saturday or Sunday. The road rides usually leave earlier in the day and head out via High Beech for trips of anything up to 70 miles. Most local rides are followed by a debrief in The Station House pub in Chingford where thanks to a very amiable Landlady we have a place to wash the bikes and store them in safety while we have a few beers and discuss the events of the day. You can also read about some of our most recent rides in the Ride Reports section on the forum.

MBRO35 Tweets

MBRO35 Strava

MBRO35 Facebook

MBRO35 Instagram

Share your ride photos with #mbro35

{sfx ...}